Friday, June 25, 2010

What Men Think About, But Too Afraid to Ask!

About women that is!

Last night I was at an office dinner standing in a small group of mixed gender colleagues making the usual chit chat, when the only male in the group out of the blue, quizzically started questioning we females! What on?

HOW WE TICKED!

His first question - shot like a bullet out of a gun - stunning us all was:

'Who do we dress for - women, men or ourselves?'

We all started gushing our responses at once...after all - here was an unusual male - REALLY interested in what a woman had to say and better still he WANTED TO LISTEN TO US! GET TO GO INSIDE OUR BRAIN and see how it ticked! He was in awe of us - the female bunch circling him.

Our responses: The outright winner was - for OURSELVES, followed closely by - for other WOMEN, even though the majority had spouses- and in fact, none of us mentioned to please our partner.

I see my choice of clothing as a tongue-in-cheek therapeutic tool - I work in an office and strive (at my "cougar" age as well - mid 50's) to dress:

#1 Youthfully (without being - now I always get this back to front, or front to back - I put it down to being a transversal breech baby - "mutton dressed up as lamb")
#2 Stylishly (with an "edge" though - not the norm - like the knitted V neck sweater dress I've just bought for winter!)
#3 Softly Sexy (have to be very, very careful here - hence the "softly" - you could go just a tad too far and look - at my age - like a joke) - I see this all the time with women well over my age who have bright blue streaks through their locks - eesch don't they have a mirror at home!

For special occasions though, my husband is definitely foremost in my thoughts for THAT WOW FACTOR dress!

Women appreciate how other women look! We are far more liberal with our compliments to each other - 'wow! you've had your hair done, that looks great!' - 'that's a lovely colour jumper on you..' AND! You receive them spontaneously and without prompting. Of course there is the competitive element in all of this - at the same time our mouth is moving to verbalise the compliment, our eyes are summing up the whole appearance of the recipient - how much did it cost? I want that outfit on me! wonder where she got it? should I ask? she can get away with that short skirt, I couldn't!

Branching out from this one brave question, one of the females in the group proudly stated she had 85 pairs of well looked after shoes, each pair in cloth protective drawstring bags and boxed. Our Brave Male needed support not to topple over!

NEXT QUESTION from Brave Male!

'How do you go about wearing them all?'
Logical answer indeed to all us other females - she said: '...some are bought for very special occasions and special outfits so are worn on a few occasions only - others might be all the same colour but worn with different fabric outfits say, a velvet evening skirt would not have the same shoe for a plaid work skirt!' This certainly all made sense to us!

At this point - dinner was served and he made his escape, a little richer for enlightenment, but with a slightly slack jaw from all this knowledge he had ingested!

Any questions from other brave male souls, please feel free to shoot!






No comments:

Post a Comment