Friday, June 25, 2010

Poor Rudd!

Are we still all in shock days later from this Australian coup? This is Australia! We're civilised, not radical or savage like our next door neighbours! How could this happen OVER NIGHT? Whilst possibly many of us slept. It was pure coincidence I was one of the first informed late that Wednesday night on the 23 June, because I was intent on watching that interesting fluffy American virtual reality show- "I Married A Stranger". Watching Rudd's media address late that night, certainly had more emotion than the show!

Now I'm not a Labor supporter and was one of the critics of some of his policies, some I didn't even begin to follow but there was The Apology to the Aboriginal people which I do applaud him for. Apologies - in my book, never go astray under any circumstance and are ALWAYS a positive step in any relationship.

Then on YouTube last night, having missed his 19 minute address to the nation, I felt I was up there with him feeling his anguish and struggle to even speak - I watched as intently his face as I did Therese, and as a wife, could feel the love going out to her husband in this most extreme of moments in his public life. At times I was willing him to carry on in the looong (what seemed to be but probably in reality were 30-40 seconds) pregnant pauses as he fought to control the wave of human despair as he relinquished his position as Prime Minister of Australia.

I was pleased when he made us all laugh about 'his blubbering' - and for that, at the very least , like him or not, follow Labor or not - you were made to like him at the very end.

WOW! Australia now has its own FIRST! The first female Prime Minister! Now that is exciting - I'll be following politics a little more intently now!

No comments:

Post a Comment